Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Proof of Social Security Number
You must provide a primary source document, as listed below, to satisfy proof of Social Security Number.
Any document used to prove Social Security Number must contain all nine (9) digits. Documents listing only the last four (4) digits are not acceptable.
Note: All US citizens are required to provide proof of their Social Security Number (SSN). Non-US citizens are required to provide proof of their Social Security Number (SSN) or obtain a letter from the Social Security Administration indicating they are not allowed or eligible to obtain a SSN.
Primary Sources (one required) - must be original:
- Social Security card bearing applicant's name, Social Security Number, and signature.
- Social Security Administration verification printout reflecting full name and Social Security Number.
- Letter with photo from Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA) or the DC Department of Corrections indicating name and Social Security Number.
- Payroll statement issued within the last 12 months containing name and Social Security Number.
- United States military identification card or discharge papers (DD-214).
- Unexpired health insurance card reflecting applicant's full name and Social Security Number.
- Unexpired identification card issued by government agency reflecting full name and social security number (excluding state-issued driver license or identification cards).
- IRS W-2 (wage and tax statement) issued within the last 12 months.
- Original letter or correspondence from the IRS or DC Office of Tax and Revenue referencing Social Security Number received within the last 12 months.
- Government-certified copy of Federal or State tax return filed in one of the last two tax years.