Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
DMV has a variety of resources available to assist you in learning about driving skill techniques and safe driving information. The driver education section is designed to provide all this information in one place for new drivers, whether teens, adults or seniors. This information is supplemented with statistical information and videos that will increase your awareness of the dangers of driving.
- DMV Automobile Driver Manual [PDF]
- DMV Motorcycle Operator’s Manual [PDF]
- DMV Commercial Driver License Manual [PDF]
Defensive Driving Course
This online course is recommended for family members who are questioning whether their loved ones are still able to safely drive. This course may also be taken to refresh and enhance your driving knowledge and skills. The online course can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your convenience.
Below is a list of the DC DMV approved courses:
- American Safety Council - DC Defensive Driving Course
- Online Traffic School Incorporated Inc. – DC Defensive Driving Course
Driver Education Information
- Aggressive Driving
- Distracted Driving
- Drugs and Driving Don’t Mix
- Never Drink and Drive
- Avoid Drowsiness and Fatigue Driving
- Sharing the Road with Larger Vehicles
- Motorcyclist Safety Tips
The Parent/Teen Guide [PDF] is a step by step guide to assist parents/guardians when teaching their teen to drive. It highlights various District rules and laws which will result in a safer driver. It should be used with the DMV Automobile Driver Manual.