Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
You must obtain a learner permit before getting a DC driver license if you do not hold a valid license from another jurisdiction. A learner permit is valid for one year for US citizens and may vary for non-US citizens (according to the US immigration expiration date). You may obtain a copy of the Driver Manual [PDF] and Motorcycle Operator's Manual [PDF] online, at a DMV Service Location, or by calling 311 or (202) 737-4404.
Drivers obtaining a learner permit, who are under the age of 21 are automatically enrolled in the GRAD Program.
- You have Proof of Name and Date of Birth to verify at least 16 years of age
- You have Proof of DC Residency
- Proof of Social Security Number
- You must be clear of all outstanding debts to the District of Columbia
- Proof of Parental Approval (if applicant is 16 or 17 years old)
To obtain a learner permit, you may visit any service location except the Adjudication Services and Inspection Station.
- Complete the Driver License Application [PDF]
- Provide the required documents The Document Verification Guide will assist you with determining which documents you will need to collect and bring to DC DMV.
- Take and pass a knowledge test
- Take and pass the vision test
- Take a photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either the ears or up to the hairline without exposing the hair)
- Pay the appropriate fees
- Obtain your learner permit