Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Convert an Out-of-State Provisional Driver License
A licensed driver who moves to the District from another jurisdiction is required to convert their out-of-state provisional driver license to a DC REAL ID provisional driver license if residing in DC for more than 30 days. A DC REAL ID provisional driver license is valid for one year for US citizens and may vary for non-US citizens depending on visa classification. The driver knowledge and road skill tests are required if your out-of-state provisional driver license has been expired for more than 90 days.
The out-of-state license must be relinquished to obtain a DC REAL ID provisional driver license. If you do not have your out-of-state license in your possession, we will accept a certified driving record (issued within the last 30 days) reflecting the license is in good standing and not expired for more than 90 days.
Click on all of the links below to review a list of required documents you must bring with you from each category and be prepared to pay the applicable fees. The DMV will NOT be able to accept documents that are not listed for source documents.
- Proof of Identity - full legal name and date of birth (must be at least 16 years of age)
- Proof of DC Residency (2 Required)
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Ability to Drive
- Proof of Parental Approval (if applicant is 16 or 17 years old)
You must also not have outstanding debts to the District of Columbia or unpaid fines for moving traffic violations in other jurisdictions.
To convert an out-of-state provisional driver license, you may visit any service location except Adjudication Services, Brentwood Road Test Office and Inspection Station.
- Complete the Driver License Application [PDF]
- Provide the required documents
- Take and pass the vision screening test
- Take a digital photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either the ears or up to the hairline without exposing the hair)
- Pay the appropriate fees
- Relinquish your out-of-state provisional driver license
- Obtain your Paper DC REAL ID Provisional driver license
- All provisional driver licenses are mailed
Note: Drivers under the age of 21 who are obtaining a REAL ID Provisional driver license are automatically enrolled in the GRAD Program