Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Obtain a Commercial Learner Permit
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old and have a valid non-commercial driver license.
- Applicants must be a US citizen or Non-US citizen with a valid Permanent Resident Card.
- CDL applicants must provide proof of US citizenship or lawful permanent residency. If the CDL applicant does not have proof of lawful permanent residency, but is legally in the US under a program approved by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, then in accordance with federal law, we will issue a CDL that is marked as non-domiciled.
- CDL Learner Permits may only have the following endorsements (with additional restrictions): S - School Bus, N - Tank and P - Passenger.
Steps to Obtain a Commercial Learner Permit
- Download a DC CDL Manual [PDF] to study for the knowledge test.
- Download and complete the US Department of Transportation Medical Examination Report [PDF] and Medical Examiner's Certificate Card [PDF].
- Visit the Brentwood Commercial Driver License Center
- Bring your completed US Department of Transportation Medical Examination Report [PDF] and Medical Examiner's Certificate Card [PDF].
- Complete the CDL Driver License/Voter Registration Application and CDL Supplemental Application at the DMV.
- Bring your valid DC regular Driver License, along with a valid, unexpired Passport or Certified birth certificate filed with a State Office of Vital Statistics or Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship. Non-US citizens must bring their valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card. If you do not have proof of lawful permanent residency, but you are legally in the US under a program approved by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), then in accordance with federal law, we will issue a CDL that is marked as non-domiciled. You must provide proof of your USCIS status.
- Take a CDL knowledge test(s) for the desired permit class and endorsements at Brentwood Commercial Driver License Center. The CDL knowledge test will be valid for 90 days after passing.
- Pay applicable fees.
- You will receive a 45 day temporary paper learner permit, and your permanent learner permit will be mailed to your address of record.
The CDL Learner Permit authorizes you to operate a designated class of vehicles if accompanied by a driver licensed to operate such vehicles. The CDL Learner Permit is valid for 180 days and is renewable (30 days prior to expiration) for 180 days without re-testing. Once your CDL Learner Permit expires, re-testing will be required.
NOTE: If your non-commercial driver license is not REAL ID compliant, you must bring additional documents, in addition to proof of identity, including proof of social security and two proofs of residency.