Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Convert an Out-of-State Motorcycle License or Endorsement
Effective May 1, 2014, DC DMV will implement a REAL ID credential. For information about REAL ID, please review our FAQs.
A person with a valid out-of-state motorcycle license or a valid out-of-state license with a motorcycle endorsement may obtain a DC REAL ID license with a motorcycle endorsement.
- You have applied for a DC REAL ID driver license and motorcycle endorsement
- You are clear of all outstanding debts to the District of Columbia
You provide the following documents:
Valid out of state motorcycle or driver license with a motorcycle endorsement
(If your out-of-state motorcycle license or operator's permit has been lost or stolen, you must provide a certified driving record, issued within 30 days, from the issuing jurisdiction.)
- Proof of Identity - full name and date of birth
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Current Residency
- Valid out of state motorcycle or driver license with a motorcycle endorsement
To convert your out-of-state motorcycle license or out-of-state license with a motorcycle endorsement, you may visit any service location except Adjudication Services or the Inspection Station.
- Complete the Drivers License Application [PDF]
- Provide the required documents
- Take and pass the vision test
- Take a photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either the ears or up to the hairline without exposing the hair)
- Pay the appropriate fees
- Surrender your out-of-state license
- Obtain your DC REAL ID driver license with motorcycle endorsement