Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Titles for Dealers
For information regarding the submission of titles and registrations, see our Business Services section.
Lost and Stolen Titles
The dealer must get a duplicate title from the previous owner.
Dealers may request duplicate titles on behalf of customers by providing the following documentation (Fee applies):
- Certificate of Title/Temporary Tag Application [PDF]
- Copy of customer’s driver license or non-driver identification card
Vehicle Power of Attorney Form [PDF]
- Rebuilt Salvage: A salvage vehicle that passes DC emissions, safety and anti-theft inspections will be titled/branded as “Rebuilt Salvage”.
- Out-of-State Salvage: Out-of-State titles branded as “Salvage” that pass DC emissions, safety and anti-theft inspections will be titled in DC maintaining the previous state’s title brand (i.e. MD Salvage, VA Salvage, CA Salvage, etc.).
- DC Salvage: Titles branded as Salvage per the vehicle’s owner/lessor request (normally due to an insurance settlement).
- Non-Repairable: Vehicle that is non-repairable will be titled/branded as Non-Repairable.
- All Salvage Vehicles must pass safety inspection and be submitted through DC Auto Theft Inspection [PDF] PRIOR to DC Registration.
- Insurance companies that make a damage settlement for a salvage/non-repairable vehicle and do not keep the vehicle must notify the vehicle’s owner/lessor of his/her obligation to apply to the DMV for a salvage/non-repairable title within thirty (30) days of settlement. No MPD Anti-Theft needed.
- Insurance companies that make a damage settlement for a salvage/non-repairable vehicle and keep the vehicle must apply to the DMV for a salvage/ non-repairable title within thirty (30) days of settlement.
- The owner must apply within thirty (30) days of vehicle being damaged and before the vehicle is repaired.
- The lessor must apply for a salvage/non-repairable title within thirty (30) days of being notified of the vehicle’s damaged status.
- A lessee of a salvage or non-repairable vehicle shall notify the lessor within thirty (30) days of the date the damaged occurred and shall not repair the vehicle prior to the issuance of salvage title to the lessor.