Please Note: The information on this page is valid through December 31, 2014. For benefits details and changes effective January 1, 2015, please visit our Open Enrollment page.
The Department of Human Resources (DCHR) manages employee compensation and benefit programs that enable the District to attract, support, and retain a well-qualified and diverse workforce. DCHR is committed to providing you with a high level of customer care in administering your District government employee benefits.
Employees Hired Before October 1, 1987
- Health Insurance for Employees Hired Before October 1, 1987
- BENEFEDS (Federal Employee Dental and Vision Insurance Program)
- FSAFEDS (Federal Employee Flexible Spending Account Program)
Employees Hired on or After October 1, 1987
- Health Insurance for Employees Hired on or After October 1, 1987
- Temporary Continuation of Coverage (TCC) Premiums
- Dental and Optical Coverage
All Benefits-Eligible Employees
Work & Life Benefits
Savings & Investment Benefits
Employee Benefits Eligibility
Employees eligible to receive benefits from the District of Columbia Government include:
- All full-time permanent employees
- Part-time permanent employees who generally work at least 20 hours per week
- Employees with temporary full-time appointments of at least 13 months who are employed by agencies under the authority of the Mayor
In addition, several of the District's independent agencies also participate in the benefits programs provided to agencies under the full authority of the Mayor.
Eligible employees may enroll in plans during the designated annual open enrollment period or within 31 days of their initial employment. Changes to plans can be made within 30 days of a qualifying life event. Learn more about qualifying life events.
Health benefits and life insurance coverage begin following the first pay period in which a payroll deduction was made to pay for the benefit, although other benefits programs (such as the Defined Contribution Pension Plan) may have additional requirements.
If you have questions about your eligibility or the benefits available to you, please contact the office that coordinates your benefits.