Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Document Verification Guide
The Document Verification Guide will assist you with determining which documents you will need to collect and bring to the DC DMV. Failure to bring the correct documents often result in the need for multiple trips to DMV. Therefore, you are encouraged to use this guide for the following transactions:
- Driver License
- Identification Card (non-driver)
- Vehicle Title and Registration
- Vehicle Title Only
- Temporary Tags
You will need to provide original documents. Photocopies, altered documents or notarized copies will not be accepted, unless specifically indicated as being acceptable.
This online Document Verification transaction will guide you through the process. To apply for a driver license or non-driver identification card, you must prove the following:
- Identity and Date of Birth
- Social Security Number (or proof that you are not eligible to obtain a SSN)
- DC Residency
- Ability to Drive (when applying for driver license)
- Name Change (if applicable)
To apply for vehicle title and registration, you must prove the following:
- Vehicle Ownership
- DC Residency (DC Driver License or DC Non-Driver Identification Card)
- Odometer Mileage
- DC Vehicle Insurance
- DC Vehicle Inspection
- Financial Agreement/Contract
We want to make your experience at the DC DMV positive and seamless, and your preparation will aid us in accomplishing this goal.