Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Obtain a Drivers Record of Someone Other Than Yourself
DMV protects the privacy of individuals by closely adhering to the Drivers Privacy Protection Act. Therefore, DMV will release Drivers records only to the following requesters:
- Driver, with proof of identity
- Individual Drivers representative (for example, a spouse), with written authorization from the driver and a copy of the Drivers proof of identification, bearing a discernable signature
- Law enforcement representatives, with documentation showing Drivers involvement in an investigation
- Government entities, as part of an established activity requiring records (for example, security clearances, investigations, and recruitment)
- Attorneys, with written authorization from their client to obtain records
- Insurance company representatives, with written authorization from the driver as part of an established investigation
All requesters must provide the client's name, date of birth, and driver license or Social Security number.
You may pay the Drivers record fees by cash, check, credit card, or money order payable to DC Treasurer. DC Governement accepts Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit cards. DC Government does not accept American Express credit cards.