Text Resize

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Appeal a Decision Regarding Your Ticket

Appeal a Decision Made Regarding Your Ticket

If you wish to appeal a hearing examiner's decision, you must file an appeal with the Traffic Adjudication Appeals Board. Detailed instructions on how to file an appeal are outlined on the Appeals Application [PDF].

Decision(s) That Can Be Appealed

Any final decision by a hearing examiner can be appealed. This includes parking, photo enforcement, minor moving violation tickets, the suspension or revocation of your driver license and the denial of your Motion to Vacate Judgment.

When to File an Appeal

If your hearing was in person, DMV must receive your appeal within 15 calendar days of the hearing date. If your case was adjudicated by mail, DMV must receive your appeal within 18 calendar days of the postmark date of the decision letter.

How to File an Appeal

To file an appeal you must first complete the Appeals Application [PDF]. You must pay the ticket fine and any penalties and a $10 appeal fee for each ticket appealed. If you are appealing a minor moving violation ticket, you must also pay a $50 transcript deposit fee. Note: If the deposit does not cover the cost of the transcript, you will be billed the additional amount. If the deposit fee is more than the cost of the transcript, you will be reimbursed the difference. The Appeals Board considers the ticket, testimony, evidence presented at the original hearing and the hearing transcript. There are no personal appearances before the Appeals Board. You also cannot submit additional documentation or evidence which was not presented at the original hearing.

If You Win Your Case on Appeal

If the Board reverses the Hearing Examiner's decision, all fines, penalties, and fees are refunded to you.

How to Appeal Decision of theTraffic Adjudication Appeals Board

DC Official Code Section 50-2304.05 provides that you may appeal a decision from the Traffic Adjudication Appeals Board (TAAB) by filing an application for an appeal in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.  The application for appeal must be filed within thirty (30) days of the TAAB decision. Submit the appeal form to the office of the Civil Clerk:

500 Indiana Avenue, N.W.

Room 5000

Washington, D.C.  20001


Contact TTY: