Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Obtain a CDL
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old and have a valid non-commercial driver license.
- Applicants must be a US citizen or Non-US citizen with a valid Permanent Resident Card.
- CDL applicants must provide proof of US citizenship or lawful permanent residency. If the CDL applicant does not have proof of lawful permanent residency, but is legally in the US under a program approved by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, then in accordance with federal law, we will issue a CDL that is marked as non-domiciled.
Steps to Obtain a Commercial Driver License
A DC commercial driver license is valid for up to eight years.
Schedule a CDL road test either online or by calling 311 or (202) 737-4404. You must be accompanied to the road test by a driver with a valid CDL of the same class or higher. Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Valid DC Driver License and CDL Learner Permit
- Valid and stamped US Department of Transportation Medical Examination Report/Medical Card [PDF] and Medical Examiner’s Certificate [PDF]
- An empty vehicle of the appropriate type (CMV Class) for testing the desired CDL class, with a valid registration document.
- Take a CDL skills road test(s) for the desired permit class and endorsements at Commercial Driver License Road Test Lot.
- Upon successful completion of the road test, apply to upgrade to a CDL at the DMV CDL office located at Brentwood Commercial Driver License Center.
- Pay applicable fees.