Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Dealers Identification Tags
- Dealer identification tags provide dealers the ability to allow vehicle demonstrations and/or to transport vehicles for repair.
- Registration must be affixed to the back of the tag.
- Dealership owners may operate vehicles bearing dealer tags if they carry the vehicle registration card.
- Licensed salesmen, with DCRA photo identification, may also operate vehicles bearing dealer tags, if they carry a vehicle registration card [PDF] and valid DC proof of insurance.
- Dealers must be insured for the number of tags requested.
- Please check Fee per tag
- Dealers are allowed two (2) dealer tags per owner up to a total of four (4) tags per business and one (1) dealer tag per licensed salesperson (other than the owner).
- Reports of lost, stolen, or confiscated tags must be accompanied by a police report.
- Replacement Dealer Tag Fee
- A dealer may replace one(1) lost or stolen dealer tag every six (6) months, upon proof of filing a police report or other proof satisfactory to the Director.
- Citizens may operate vehicles bearing a dealer tag for the purpose of test driving when a temporary registration certificate [PDF] is affixed to the windshield.
- Temporary Registration Certificates [PDF], with control numbers, are issued by the DMV in multiples of 50 per dealership.
- A temporary registration certificate is valid for a period not to exceed five (5) days from the date of issuance.
- Temporary registration certificates used with dealer tags cannot be extended.
- In order to receive more temporary registration forms, at least 50% of existing inventory must be used.