Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
How to Retrieve a Booted/Towed Vehicle
- Call DMV Customer Service at 311 or (202) 737-4404 to confirm the location of your vehicle. Please be prepared to provide the state and license tag number of your vehicle.
- Pay all outstanding fees and fines online, at the DPW Blue Plains Vehicle Impoundment Lot #4 or 15th Street Impoundment Lot #5 (only if paying by credit card) or at Adjudication Services.
- Present your payment receipt, vehicle registration, and valid driver license at the DPW Blue Plains Vehicle Impoundment Lot #4 (5001 Shepherd Parkway, SW) or 15th Street Impoundment Lot #5. If you are not the registered owner, you must have a notarized statement from the owner authorizing you to pick up the vehicle.
- If your vehicle is leased, be prepared to show the leasing agreement or contract at the impoundment lot.
- Vehicles displaying expired vehicle tags may not be driven from the lot. You must renew your registration and bring the renewal documentation and/or vehicle tags with you to the impoundment lot, or have the vehicle towed. You can also renew the vehicle registration online at the Impoundment Lot at the One Stop Customer Service Center.
- If you do not claim the vehicle from the impoundment lot, it will be auctioned or sold as scrap.
Impoundment Lots and hours of operation can be found on the Department of Public Works website.
Note: After paying any storage fees owed you must retrieve your vehicle that day, or additional storage fees will be charged ($20 per day for most vehicles). These additional storage fees cannot be paid at One Stop Center; they must be paid at 301 C Street, NW. To avoid this inconvenience, please retrieve your vehicle the same day that you pay any outstanding storage fees.