Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Insurance Payment Plan
If you are a District of Columbia resident and are seeking driver or vehicle services, you may enter a payment plan to settle insurance fines. You will have six months to pay off your insurance fines. During this time, a six-month temporary license or vehicle registration will be issued. Payment in full is due by the end of the six-month period. Payment plan requirements are listed below:
- Your fines must total at least $250.
- You must deposit at least 25% of the total amount due to start the plan.
- You must have a DC driver license or a non-Drivers identification card and your vehicle must be registered in the District of Columbia.
- Insurance Fines issued after you start the plan do not become part of the payment plan.
- Current regulations limit payment plans to DC residents.
- You must answer any and all insurance inquiries issued to you after you start the plan; otherwise, your temporary license and/or registration may be revoked and your vehicle will be subject to enforcement action.
If you successfully pay off an insurance payment plan within the required guidelines, you may apply for another payment plan for future insurance fines. However, you cannot be on more than one payment plan at the same time.
The following vehicles are not eligible for an insurance payment plan:
- DC Government Tag
- Commercial Tag
In order to get on an insurance payment plan, you must visit a DMV Service Center. Once you are on the insurance payment plan, you can make your installment payments online using the steps indicated below.
Online Installment Payment for Insurance Payment Plan – Four Step Overview
- Enter drivers License or Identification Card Number in the box provided.
- Select the Submit button to begin the secure payment process*. This link will take you to a secure site.
- Follow the directions on the secure site to complete the payment process.
- Wait for a confirmation and then print it for your records.