Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Home Safety Planning
During a disaster, everyday objects in your home can cause injury or damage.
Take the following simple steps to make your home safer:
- Install smoke detectors on each level of your home and change batteries every year.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors near sleeping areas.
- Move beds away from windows.
- Clear hallways and exits for easy evacuation.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on each level and know how and when to use them.
- Store flammable or highly reactive chemicals (such as bleach, ammonia, paint thinner) securely and separate from each other.
- Know how and when to switch off your utilities.
- Ensure that all window safety bars have emergency releases.