Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Limited Purpose Credential Proof of 6-Month DC Residency
You must complete the 6-Month DC Residency Certification and provide TWO (2) of the documents listed below (dated at least six (6) months prior), to satisfy proof of 6-month residency. DMV will NOT accept documents, that are not listed below, to satisfy proof of DC residency.
Source Documents (TWO required) - must be original (which includes computer printouts for online bills) AND contain a valid DC address (P.O. Boxes not acceptable):
- Utility bill (Water, Gas, Electric, Oil, or Cable) with name and address (disconnect notices/bills not accepted)
- Telephone bill (cell phone, wireless or pager bills acceptable) reflecting applicant's name and address (disconnect notices/bills not accepted)
- Deed, mortgage or settlement agreement reflecting applicant's name and property address
- Unexpired lease or rental agreement with the name of the applicant listed as the lessee, permitted resident or renter (may be a photocopy)
- DC Property Tax bill
- Unexpired homeowner's or renter’s insurance policy reflecting name and address
- DC DMV Proof of Residency Form signed by the person owning the residence AND a copy of this person's unexpired DC driver license or DC identification card AND TWO (2) of the sources listed above (i.e. Utility bill, telephone bill, etc.) in the person owning the residence’s name dated at least 6 months prior
- Bank Statement reflecting full name and address (only checking and savings accounts; credit card and money market statements not accepted)
- First class or priority mail from a Federal, State, or Local Government agency (with full name and address) to include contents and envelope, excluding mail from the DC Department of Motor Vehicles
- *DC DMV Approved Form from Certified Social Service Provider
*May only be used to obtain an Identification Card and does NOT require a second source of residency document
Note: Documents which are altered, counterfeit, torn, laminated, erased, whited out, etc are not originals and are not accepted by DC DMV.
Contact TTY: 711