Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Limited Purpose Credential Proof of 6-Month DC Residency
You must complete the 6-Month DC Residency Certification and provide TWO (2) of the documents listed below (dated at least six (6) months prior), to satisfy proof of 6-month residency. DMV will NOT accept documents that are not listed below, to satisfy proof of DC residency.
Source Documents (TWO required) - must be original (which includes computer printouts for online bills) AND contain a valid DC address (P.O. Boxes not acceptable):
• Utility bill (water, gas, electric, oil, or cable), with name and address(disconnect notices/bills are not accepted)
• Telephone bill (cell phone, wireless, or pager bills acceptable), reflecting applicant's name and current address(disconnect notices/bills are not accepted)
• Deed, mortgage, or settlement agreement reflecting applicant's name and property address
• Unexpired lease or rental agreement with the name of the applicant listed as the lessee, permitted resident, or renter (may be a photocopy)
• Unexpired Sublease accompanied by the original unexpired Lease with the name of the certifier as sub-lessor
• DC property tax bill issued within the last 12 months reflecting the applicant's name and property address
• Unexpired homeowner's or renter’s insurance policy reflecting name and address
• **Letter with picture from Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA) or DC Department of Corrections (DC DOC) certifying name and DC residency issued within the last 60 days
• DC DMV Proof of Residency Form (Only For Minors Under 18 Years Old) signed by the parent/guardian residing at the residence AND a copy of parent/guardian’s unexpired DC driver license or DC identification card AND 2 proof of residency documents (i.e., utility bill, telephone bill, etc.) in the parent/guardian’s name.
• Bank/Credit Card/Investment Account Statement reflecting name and address
• Official Mail—received from ANY government agency(with full name and address) to include contents and envelope, excluding mail from DC DMV (Change of Address Notifications from the Postal Service are NOT accepted)
• **DC DMV-approved form from certified social service provider
• Medical Bill reflecting name and address
• Student Loan Statement reflecting name and address
• Home Line of Equity Statement reflecting name and address
• Car/Personal Loan Statement (no coupon books/vouchers accepted) reflecting name and address
• Home Security System Bill reflecting name and address
**May only be used to obtain an Identification Card and does NOT require a second source of residency document
Note: Documents that are altered, counterfeit, torn, laminated, erased, whited out, etc. are not originals and are not accepted by DC DMV.
Contact TTY: 711