Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Limited Purpose Proof of Identity – Name and Date of Birth
An individual applying for a Limited Purpose Driver License or Limited Purpose ID Identification Card must provide one (1) source document from the list below or two (2) secondary source documents from the list below. DMV will NOT accept documents, that are not listed below, to satisfy proof of identity and date of birth.
Note: A document that is being used as Proof of Ability to Drive cannot also be used as Proof of Identity.
If you have a name change due to marriage or a court order, you are also required to bring (in addition to the above documents) your marriage certificate or court documents to show proof of your name change.
Source Documents - one required - must be original and list full legal name and date of birth:
- Unexpired Passport
- Consular Card (Mexico, Guatemala, or Ecuador)
- Unexpired United States Military Identification Card
- United States birth certificate or birth certification card filed with a State Office of Vital Statistics
- Letter with picture from Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA) or DC Department of Corrections (DOC) certifying name and date of birth (for ID Card only)
Secondary Source Documents – two required - must be original and list full legal name and date of birth:
- Foreign Birth Certificate (Original)
- Unexpired Foreign Driver License or Identification Card
- Certified School Records
If you possess a non-English language source document from a foreign country, you must attach an English translation from your embassy or from a certified translator. The embassy translation must be on official embassy letterhead. Certified translator copies must have a certification stamp.
Note: Documents which are altered, counterfeit, torn, laminated, erased, whited out, etc are not originals and are not accepted by DC DMV.
Contact TTY: 711