Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Obtain a Intrastate CDL
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver license.
- Minimum of two years driving experience.
- Applicants must be a US Citizen or Non-US Citizen with a valid Permanent Resident Card.
- Effective January 30, 2012, CDL applicants must provide proof of US Citizenship or lawful permanent residency. If the CDL applicant does not have proof of lawful permanent residency, and is legally in the US under a program approved by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, then in accordance with federal law, DC DMV will issue a CDL that is marked as non-domiciled.
Steps to Obtain an Intrastate Commercial Driver License
A DC Intrastate commercial driver license is valid for up to eight years.
- Schedule a CDL road test either online or by calling 311 or (202)737-4404. You must be accompanied to the road test by a driver with a valid CDL of the same class or higher. Please bring the following to your appointment:
A. Valid DC Driver License and CDL Learner Permit.
3. Upon successful completion of the road test, apply to upgrade to a CDL at the DMV CDL office located at Brentwood Commercial Driver License Center.
4. Pay applicable fees.
- May operate Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) "Class C" vehicles only.
- H (Hazardous Materials), N (Tank), P (Passenger), S (School Bus), and T (Double/Triple Trailer) endorsements are NOT allowed.
- Commercial Motor Vehicle may ONLY be operated within the District of Columbia.