Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Obtain a Limited Purpose Learner Permit
To obtain a Limited Purpose learner permit you will be required to take and pass a knowledge test and meet eligibility requirements. Applicants must be a resident of the District of Columbia for at least 6 months, from the date of application. Applicants must have never been issued a social security number; or previously been issued a social security number but cannot establish legal presence in the United States at the time of application; or not be eligible for a social security number. The Limited Purpose learner permit may not be used for official federal purposes. You must schedule an appointment to obtain a Limited Purpose learner permit. Prior to your DMV appointment, be sure to study and review the Driver Manual because you will be required to take a knowledge test. If you fail the knowledge test, you will be required to schedule another appointment which may result in weeks delay. Therefore, you are encouraged to study for the knowledge test. A Limited Purpose learner permit is valid for one year.
Click on all of the links below to review a list of required documents you must bring with you from each category and be prepared to pay the applicable fees. The DMV will NOT be able to accept documents that are not listed for source documents. For a summary of required and acceptable documents, click here.
• Proof of Identity - full legal name and date of birth (must be at least 16 years of age)
• Proof of DC Residency (2 Required)
• Proof of 6-Month DC Residency (2 Required)
• Social Security Number Declaration Form
• No outstanding debts to the District of Columbia or unpaid fines for moving traffic violations in other jurisdictions
• Proof of Parental Approval (if applicant is 16 or 17 years old)
You must schedule an appointment to obtain a Limited Purpose learner permit. Appointments are available at any service location except Adjudication Services, Brentwood Road Test Office and Inspection Station.
- Complete the Driver License Application [PDF]
- Complete the SSN Declaration Form
- Provide the required documents
- Take and pass a vision screening
- Take and pass a knowledge test
- Take a digital photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either the ears or up to the hairline without exposing the hair)
- Pay the appropriate fees
- Obtain your Paper DC Limited Purpose learner permit
- All learner permits are mailed
Note: Drivers under the age of 21 who are obtaining a DC Limited Purpose learner permit are automatically enrolled in the GRAD Program
Contact TTY: 711