Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Obtain a Limited Purpose Non-Driver Identification Card
To obtain a Limited Purpose Non-Driver identification card you must be a resident of the District of Columbia for at least six (6) months (from the date of application), at least 15 years of age and do not hold a valid driver license in DC or another state or jurisdiction. Applicants must have never been issued a social security number; or previously been issued a social security number but cannot establish legal presence in the United States at the time of application; or not be eligible for a social security number. The Limited Purpose Non-Driver identification card may not be used for official federal purposes. You must schedule an appointment to obtain a Limited Purpose Non-Driver identification card. A Limited Purpose Non-Driver identification card is valid for up to eight years.
Click on all of the links below to review a list of required documents that you must bring with you from each of the four (4) categories and be prepared to pay the applicable fees. The DMV will NOT be able to accept documents that are not listed for source documents.
• Proof of Identity - full legal name and date of birth
• Proof of DC Residency (2 Required)
• Proof of 6-Month DC Residency (2 Required)
• Social Security Number Declaration Form
You must schedule an appointment to obtain a Limited Purpose Non-Driver identification card. Appointments are available at any service location except Adjudication Services, Brentwood Road Test Office and Inspection Station.
- Complete the Non-Driver identification card Application [PDF]
- Complete the SSN Declaration Form*
- Provide the required documents
- Take a digital photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either the ears or up to the hairline without exposing the hair)
- Pay the appropriate fees
- Obtain your Paper DC Limited Purpose Non-Driver identification card
- All Non-Driver identification cards are mailed