Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Obtain a Limited Purpose Provisional Driver License
To obtain a Limited Purpose provisional driver license you must be under the age of 21, already have a DC Limited Purpose learner permit, have taken and passed the road skills test and meet eligibility requirements. Applicants must be a resident of the District of Columbia for at least 6 months, from the date of application. Applicants must have never been issued a social security number; or previously been issued a social security number but cannot establish legal presence in the United States at the time of application; or not be eligible for a social security number. The Limited Purpose provisional driver license may not be used for official federal purposes. A REAL ID provisional driver license is valid for one year for US citizens, and this period may vary for non-US citizens according to the US duration of stay.
• You must have a valid DC Limited Purpose learner permit for at least 6 months with no pointable violations
• You must provide a signed 40 hours Certification of Eligibility for Provisional License form certifying that you have at least 40 hours of driving experience accompanied by a licensed driver(s) who is 21 years or older and who has a valid full driver license. A photocopy of the supervising driver(s) license must be submitted.
• You must pass the road skills test
• No outstanding debts to the District of Columbia or unpaid fines for moving traffic violations in other jurisdictions
To obtain a Limited Purpose Provisional driver license, you must schedule your road skills test appointment and report to the Brentwood Road Test Office 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Complete the Certification of Eligibility for Provisional License form
- Schedule your road skills test appointment
- Bring your valid DC Limited Purpose learner permit
- Provide the required documents
- Take and pass a road skills test
- Complete the Driver License Application [PDF]
- Take and pass a vision screening
- Take a digital photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either the ears or up to the hairline without exposing the hair)
- Pay the appropriate fees
- Obtain your Paper Limited Purpose Provisional driver license
- All provisional driver licenses are mailed
Contact TTY: 711