Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Obtain a REAL ID Learner Permit
(Note this webpage is only applicable to DC residents who have never been issued a learner permit in any jurisdiction. If you are seeking information related to the REAL ID process when renewing or obtaining a duplicate of your existing DC learner permit, please click here.)
To obtain a REAL ID learner permit you will be required to take and pass a knowledge test and meet eligibility requirements. You may not obtain a DC REAL ID learner permit while maintaining a valid learner permit from another jurisdiction. A REAL ID learner permit is valid for one year for US citizens, and this period may vary for non-US citizens according to the US duration of stay.
Click on all of the links below to review a list of required documents you must bring with you from each category and be prepared to pay the applicable fees. The DMV will NOT be able to accept documents that are not listed for source documents.
• Proof of Identity - full legal name and date of birth (must be at least 16 years of age)
• Proof of DC Residency (2 Required)
• Proof of Social Security Number
• No outstanding debts to the District of Columbia or unpaid fines for moving traffic violations in other jurisdictions
• Proof of Parental Approval (if applicant is 16 or 17 years old)
To obtain a REAL ID learner permit, you may visit any service location except Adjudication Services, Brentwood Road Test Office and Inspection Station.
- Complete the Driver License Application [PDF]
- Provide the required documents
- Take and pass a vision screening
- Take and pass a knowledge test
- Take a digital photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either the ears or up to the hairline without exposing the hair)
- Pay the appropriate fees
- Obtain your Paper REAL ID learner permit
- All learner permits are mailed
Note: Drivers under the age of 21 who are obtaining a REAL ID learner permit are automatically enrolled in the GRAD Program
Contact TTY: 711