Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Online Registration Card Replacement
You may request a duplicate vehicle registration card online if you have:
A vehicle registration that expires in more than 10 days. If your vehicle registration expires within 10 days, the DMV requires that you renew your vehicle registration, rather than request a duplicate registration card.
Your current name and address on file at the DMV. The DMV will mail your duplicate vehicle registration card to your current address on file at the DMV.
- A valid credit card. The DMV accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. The DC Government does not accept American Express.
And you have not:
- Recently changed your address or name without updating this information with DMV.
If you can't satisfy all of the eligibility requirements above, you must request a duplicate vehicle registration card at a DMV service location.
Online Duplicate Vehicle Registration Request Five-Step Overview
- Enter your registered vehicle information. (tag number, last four digits of VIN, your email address)
- Review your vehicle registration information and update your insurance information.
- Pay for the online duplicate vehicle registration card request using a valid credit card.
- Review all the information you've entered.
- Print the confirmation page for your records.
Note: Online duplicates are limited to one per year
Proceed to Online Duplicate Vehicle Registration Request Within 10 business days, DMV will mail your duplicate vehicle registration card and your window sticker, which includes the Residential Parking Permit (RPP), if you are eligible and have requested it.