Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Payment Methods for Booted/Towed Vehicles
What methods of payment are accepted?
To release the booted or towed vehicle, you must pay the boot or tow fee and all outstanding parking tickets on the vehicle tag.
- Pay in person at the DMV Adjudication Service Center. Tickets and boot fees may also be paid online.
- DPW now has One Stop Customer Service Centers at the Blue Plains Impoundment Lot #4 (located at 5001 Shepherd Parkway, SW) and 15th Street Impoundment Lot # 5 (located at 1725 15th Street, NE) to allow you to pay ticket and tow fees online without visiting DMV’s Adjudication Services. At the One Stop Centers, if your vehicle tags have expired, you can also renew your vehicle registration online in order to drive the vehicle off the impoundment lot. Call 311 or (202) 737-4404 to determine which impoundment lot your vehicle is located.
- Payments may be made with cash, money order, or credit card*.
- Checks cannot be accepted for release of booted vehicles or towed vehicles with multiple outstanding tickets.
- Until you pay the tow and ticket fees, you may remove only these items from your vehicle: cash, checkbook, driver license, perishable items, medicine, and tools necessary for livelihood.
Impoundment Lots and hours of operation can be found on the Department of Public Works website.
- At Adjudication Services, you will be directed to the service window to obtain a printout of boot or tow fees and all outstanding parking tickets.
- Proceed to the cashier window and make payment in the form of cash, money order, or credit card*.
- For Towed Vehicles: Retrieve your vehicle.
- For Booted Vehicles: The boot is generally removed within two hours of payment.
- If paying by credit card*, you may proceed to DPW’s One Stop Customer Service Center at the Abandoned Vehicles Operations Blue Plains Impoundment Lot #4 (located at 5001 Shepherd Parkway, SW) or 15th Street Impoundment Lot # 5 (located at 1725 15th Street, NE) to pay ticket and tow fees online. Call 311 or (202) 737-4404 to determine which impoundment lot your vehicle is located.
Note: After paying any storage fees owed you must retrieve your vehicle that day, or additional storage fees will be charged ($20 per day for most vehicles). These additional storage fees cannot be paid at One Stop Center; they must be paid at 301 C Street, NW. To avoid this inconvenience, please retrieve your vehicle the same day that you pay any outstanding storage fees.
*The DC Government accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover credit cards. DC Government does not accept American Express credit cards.