Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Convert an Out-of-State License
A licensed driver who moves to the District from another jurisdiction is required to convert their out-of-state driver license to a DC REAL ID driver license if residing in DC for more than 30 days. A DC REAL ID driver license is valid for up to eight years for US citizens and may vary for non-US citizens depending on visa classification. The driver knowledge and road skill tests are required if your out-of-state driver license has been expired for more than 90 days.
The former license must be relinquished to obtain a DC REAL ID driver license. If you do not have your out-of-state license in your possession, we will accept a certified driving record (issued within the last 30 days) reflecting the license is in good standing and not expired for more than 90 days.
Click on all of the links below to review a list of required documents that you must bring with you from each category and be prepared to pay the applicable fees. The DMV will NOT be able to accept documents that are not listed for source documents.
- Proof of Identity - full legal name and date of birth (must be at least 16 years of age)
- Proof of DC Residency (2 required)
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Ability to Drive
Proof of Parental Approval (if applicant is 16 or 17 years old)
You also cannot have any outstanding debts to the District of Columbia or unpaid fines for moving violations in other jurisdictions.
To convert an out-of-state driver license, you may visit any service location except Adjudication Services, Brentwood Road Test Office and Inspection Station.
- Complete the Driver License Application [PDF]
- Provide the required documents
- Take and pass the vision screening test
- Take a digital photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either the ears or up to the hairline without exposing the hair)
- Pay the appropriate fees
- Relinquish your out-of-state driver license
- Obtain your Paper DC REAL ID driver license
- All driver licenses are mailed
Note: Drivers under the age of 21 who are obtaining a driver license are automatically enrolled in the GRAD Program