Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Dealer Registration Renewal
Dealer registrations are by appointment only. Please click the link for the office hours and the service location. DMV staff will facilitate all renewal appointments.
The following are required at time of appointment:
- DMV Dealer Application [PDF] (Completed and Notarized)
- Clean Hands Certification [PDF]
- Business License (An original must be presented, along with a copy), please visit the DCRA website for additional information
- Occupancy Permit (copy)
- Copy of a federal tax identification form
- Copy of Owner’s Driver License or Non-drivers identification
- Copy of each Salesperson’s Salesman License and Driver License or Non-Driver identification
- All previously issued dealer tags to the dealership. In the event that a tag is lost/stolen, a police report must be submitted for that tag (This does not guarantee that the missing tag will be replaced).
- Proof of continuous insurance coverage for currently issued dealer tags
Note: DMV registration will expire on October 31st of each year and it will allow to have reassignment of titles, purchase and use dealer tags.
Reminder: The Dealership address must be consistent on all of the documents submitted.
Important notice regarding your Dealership’s Insurance policy
- Failure to maintain continuous insurance coverage shall result in fines, suspension, and/or revocation of your dealer registration. In the event of suspension or revocation, all tags must be returned immediately upon notification from the DMV. Failure to comply may result in additional fines and/or permanent revocation.
- According to D.C. Official Code section 31-2413.01 (b) (2), a fine of $150 will be assessed for a lapse in your insurance coverage from 1 to 30 days. For any lapse greater than 30 days, you will be assessed an additional fine $7 a day, up to a maximum amount of $2500.
Note: These fines are applicable assessed per tag issued