Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Documents Required for Vehicle Registration
Documents Required to Obtain a DC Vehicle Registration
The following documents are required to register a vehicle at an applicable fee:
- Title/Certificate of Origin (Photocopies are not acceptable)
- DC Driver License or DC Non-Driver Identification Card
- Proof of Business Identity (if applicable)
- Car Bill of Sale (New Car)
- Proof of Valid Odometer Statement
- DC Vehicle Insurance
- DC Vehicle Inspection - Used Car only
- Lien contract (if applicable)
- Lessee contract (if applicable)
The Document Verification Guide will assist you with determining which documents you will need to collect and bring to DC DMV. Click here to begin.
For Multiple Vehicle Owners:
If the secondary owner of the vehicle lives in a different state, you must bring a letter of authorization with you to DMV in order to act on the other person’s behalf, and a copy of their driver license or non-driver ID card.
If multiple owners want to be added to the vehicle registration, they must have a valid DC driver license or non-driver ID card. All owners must already be listed on the title/Certificate of Origin and any lien/leased paperwork.
All documents must match the information provided on the application.
Note: At least one owner on the title must be a DC resident.