Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Name Changes and Corrections
If your name has changed, or there is an error in information on your DMV documents, and you would like to change it, you must first change or correct your name with the Social Security Administration. Then bring the following documents that relate to your name change or correction:
Name Change (Marriage, Divorce or Legal Court Order)
Bring your current DC driver license, DC learner’s permit or DC non-driver identification card and social security card or Social Security Administration printout (reflecting your name change) along with one of the following original documents:
- Certified Marriage Certificate (name change due to marriage)
- Divorce Decree (name change due to divorce)
- Official US Court Change of Name document (name change due to legal court order)
Bring your current driver license or non-driver identification card and social security card or Social Security Administration printout (reflecting the correct spelling of your name) along with one of the following original documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Employment Authorization Card
- Permanent Resident Card
This information may be presented at any DMV customer service location.