Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Obtain Personalized Tags
Personalized tags are available upon request. There are three types of personalized tags:
- Standard (for automobiles) - may contain up to seven letters, numbers 1-9, and/or spaces
- Motorcycle - may contain up to five letters, numbers 1-9, and/or spaces
- Disability Tags - may contain up to five letters, numbers 1-9, and/or spaces
No punctuation or symbols are permitted on the personalized tag. The DMV reserves the right to reject any combination of letters or numbers that may be deemed offensive. A personalized tag request may take up to eight weeks to fulfill. You will receive a letter in the mail when your personalized tag is available for pick-up. You will receive this letter by e-mail if you have provided DMV with your e-mail address.
Process to obtain a Personalized Tag
DMV provides several convenient ways to obtain personalized vehicle tags for your vehicle. The registered owner may request the personalized vehicle tags in person, by mail, or online by following the steps below and paying the tag request fee.
Step 1: Requesting a Personalized Tag
- Online - Find out instantly if your desired tag is available. You will need (1) your DC drivers license number or identification card number, and (2) credit card number* to pay the applicable fees. You may track your personalized tag request online.
- By Mail or In Person – Bring or mail a completed Personalized Tag Application [PDF] and applicable fees to DMV's 95 M Street SW service location. Applications can also be picked up in person or requested by calling 311 or (202) 737-4404.
Step 2: Approval/Rejection of your request for personalized Tags
Upon approval or rejection of your request, the DC DMV will contact you via US mail or email (if you supply your email address on the application or use our Personalized Tag Request Track Order tool online). If your request is rejected, you will be refunded the applicable fees.
Step 3: Picking Up a Personalized Tag
If your application is approved, the DC DMV will contact you by US mail or email (if you supplied your email address on the application) when the personalized tag is ready, in approximately 8 weeks. You may pick up the Tag at DMV's 95 M Street SW service location.
Also bring the following items:
- Your DC drivers license or identification card;
- Your registration card and
- Your current vehicle tags (NOTE: You must surrender any current vehicle tags and registration card).
DC Government accepts Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit cards. DC Government does not accept American Express credit cards.