Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Obtain a REAL ID Provisional Driver License
(Note this webpage is only applicable to DC residents who have never been issued a provisional driver license in any jurisdiction. If you are seeking information related to the REAL ID process when renewing or obtaining a duplicate of your existing DC provisional license, please click here.)
To obtain a REAL ID provisional driver license you must be under the age of 21, already have a learner permit, have taken and passed the road skills test and meet eligibility requirements. You may not obtain a DC REAL ID provisional driver license while maintaining a valid driver license from another jurisdiction. A REAL ID provisional driver license is valid for one year for US citizens, and this period may vary for non-US citizens according to the US duration of stay.
Click on all of the links below to review a list of required documents you must bring with you from each category and be prepared to pay the applicable fees. The DMV will NOT be able to accept documents that are not listed for source documents.
• Proof of Identity - full legal name and date of birth (must be at least 16 years of age)
• Proof of DC Residency (2 Required)
• Proof of Social Security Number
• You must have a valid learner permit for at least 6 months with no pointable violations
• You must provide a signed 40 hours Certification of Eligibility for Provisional License form certifying that you have at least 40 hours of driving experience accompanied by a licensed driver(s) who is 21 years or older and who has a valid full driver license. A photocopy of the supervising driver(s) license must be submitted.
• You must pass the road skills test
• No outstanding debts to the District of Columbia or unpaid fines for moving traffic violations in other jurisdictions
To obtain a REAL ID Provisional driver license, you must schedule your road skills test appointment and report to the Brentwood Road Test Office 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Complete the Certification of Eligibility for Provisional License form
- Schedule your road skills test appointment
- Bring your valid learner permit
- Provide the required documents
- Take and pass a road skills test
- Complete the Driver License Application [PDF]
- Take and pass a vision screening
- Take a digital photograph (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either the ears or up to the hairline without exposing the hair)
- Pay the appropriate fees
- Obtain your Paper REAL ID Provisional driver license
- All provisional driver licenses are mailed
Note: Drivers under the age of 21 who are obtaining a REAL ID Provisional driver license are automatically enrolled in the GRAD Program
Contact TTY: 711