Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Obtain Temporary Tags (Dealers/Dealership)
Used Cars Sold to DC Residents – Temporary DC Registration
• Customers with newly purchased used vehicles that do not have a valid inspection are required to title and register their vehicle with a DC passenger tag reflecting a 45-day registration
• Documents required to obtain a temporary DC registration
- Certificate of Title/ Temporary Tag Application [PDF]
- A properly endorsed title
- Proof of valid DC insurance
- DC license or DC non-driver identification
- Applicable temporary DC registration, title and lienholder fees
• The customer will pay all fees associated with the title transaction (i.e., excise tax, title fee and lien recordation fee (if applicable)) when obtaining the temporary DC registration; therefore, when selling a used vehicle, it is critical that you alert customers of this requirement
• The temporary DC registration fee, including RPP (if applicable), will cost $13
• The wording “Temporary Registration” will print on the registration window sticker
• Law enforcement and parking officers will recognize the temporary DC registration as valid without the vehicle having a valid inspection sticker
• After vehicle inspection, the customer will renew their temporary DC registration by mail or online without making an in-person visit to DMV
Used Cars Sold to Non-DC Residents – Temporary Tags
• Temporary Tags are valid for 15 days
• Temporary Tag Fee applies
• Dealers may process up to three (3) temporary tags per visit.
• Dealers must present a Certificate of Title/ Temporary Tag Application [PDF], title, proof of insurance, a copy of the customer’s driver license or non-driver identification card and vehicle power of attorney to obtain a temp tag.
New Cars - Temporary Tags (Only DC New Car Dealers Issue DC Temporary Tags)
• Temporary tags are issued to allow time for new vehicles to be titled and permanently registered.
• One (1) temporary tag is issued to be displayed on the rear of vehicle.
• In order to obtain additional temporary tags, dealership must show proof of having used 50% of existing temporary tag inventory.
• Reports of lost or stolen tags must be accompanied by police report, prior to the issuance of replacements.
• Temporary tag series
- N series for used cars (Orange)
- NC series for new cars (Pink)
• The vehicle information on temporary tags must be legible
• Expiration date must be stamped using black ink
• Special use certificates [PDF] must be issued to customers and a copy must be provided to DMV.
• Special use certificates [PDF] are issued by the DMV in multiples of 50.
• If a customer qualifies for residential parking, a copy of the special use certificate must be submitted to the Dealer Office, and a temporary parking permit will be issued.
• Temporary tags will not be issued for rental vehicles.
• Dealers may only issue temporary tags for vehicles, which the dealer has authorization to sell.
• Tags can only be issued at cost; dealers are not allowed to make profit.
• Only the DMV Director or Designee may approve a new car dealer to issue second temporary tag to a customer.
• Temporary tags marked as “damaged” must be returned to DMV for accounting purposes.
• Temporary tags must be issued to customers in numerical order.
• Dealers must retain copies of all temporary tag paperwork on dealership site for minimum of two (2) years.
Contact TTY: 711