Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
REAL ID Proof of Identity - Full Legal Name and Date of Birth
An individual applying for a REAL ID Driver License or REAL ID Identification Card must provide one (1) source document from the list below. DMV will NOT accept documents that are not listed below to satisfy proof of identity and date of birth.
Note: A document that is being used as Proof of Ability to Drive or Proof of Social Security Number cannot also be used as Proof of Identity.
Source Documents - must be original and document MUST list full legal name and date of birth:
- United States birth certificate or birth certification card filed with a State Office of Vital Statistics
- Valid REAL ID driver license, learner permit, or identification card (only if REAL ID credential is issued to US Citizens; immigration documents necessary for those US residents with lawful status)
- Unexpired United States Passport or Passport Card
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of US Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the US Department of State
- Unexpired Foreign Passport w/visa and I-94 reflecting duration of stay
- Unexpired Foreign Passport w/visa (classification A and G), I-94, and US State Department Letter (reflecting no diplomatic immunity)
- Unexpired Foreign Passport w/visa (classification F), I-94 and I-20
- Unexpired Foreign Passport w/visa (classification J), I-94 and DS-2019
- Unexpired Employment Authorization Card
- Unexpired Permanent Resident Card
- I-94 stamped Asylee and Asylum Approval Letter
- I-94 stamped Refugee
- *Letter with picture from Court Services and Offender Supervisor Agency (CSOSA) or DC Department of Corrections (DC DOC) certifying name, date of birth, social security number and address (for ID Card only)
*This is an exception process which may only be used to receive a 6-months Identification Card if none of the other acceptable documents are available. After the initial 6 months, CSOSA and DOC applicants will be required to undergo the re-validation process by providing source documents, excluding the CSOSA or DOC sole source document (i.e., CSOSA & DOC Sole Source Document will not be an acceptable document to use for re-validation after the 6-months ID card has expired).
Non-US citizens with visiting visa classifications are not eligible to obtain a DC REAL ID driver license or DC REAL ID identification card. Non-US citizens may obtain a DC REAL ID driver license or DC REAL ID identification card if they possess a USCIS Notice of Action, Form I-797, reflecting you have applied for an employment authorization card, permanent resident card or adjustment of status or any other unexpired document issued by USCIS or US Department of State allowing lawful presence.
If you have a name change due to marriage, divorce or a court order, you are also required to bring (in addition to the above documents) your marriage/divorce certificate or court documents to show proof of your name change.
Note: A DC REAL ID driver license and identification card are valid for up to eight years for US citizens and may vary for non-US citizens depending on visa classification and duration of stay. Therefore immigration documentation must be resubmitted upon renewal for non-US citizens. If you are issued a REAL ID credential that has a modified expiration date, the credential will be marked “Temporary”.
Note: Documents which are altered, counterfeit, torn, laminated, erased, whited out, etc are not originals and are not accepted by DC DMV.