Know before you go! Check out our Wait Times and Webcams.
Types of Payments Accepted – Dealers/Dealership Transactions
The DMV accepts:
- Business/Personal Checks
- Certified checks
- Credit Card (except American Express)
- Money Orders
- Cash (not accepted for dealer dropoff work, dealer tags or new car temporary tags)
The DMV will NOT accept:
- Starter checks are not accepted
All checks received by DMV will be reviewed for the following items:
- If check has been written for exact amount of transaction?
- Is the current date on check?
- Does the check contain current address and phone number?
- Does the Dollar amount match the written amount?
- Is the check made payable to “DC Treasurer”?
- Is the check signed or properly endorsed?
Note: A $65 Fee will be imposed per dishonored check. DMV will not accept checks as a form of payment for any business transaction for a 2 year period from those businesses who have issued dishonored checks.