Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Classes of Business Licenses

Certain classes of business do not need a basic business license to get a DC DMV commercial vehicle registration or tag. If your business qualifies, you may provide DC DMV certain documents that prove eligibility.
In place of a business license, for the types of business listed below, DC DMV will accept the following documents when issuing XX:

1.  Church—generally not required to obtain a business license unless any or all of its funds come from fundraising efforts, grants, bazaars, auctions, or other events from outside of its own members. If so, a charitable solicitation license is required.

2. Community Residence Facilities or Group Homes (e.g., Volunteers of America)—required to obtain a Group Home for Persons with Intellectual Disabilities (GHPID) license from the Department of Health.

Note: In accordance with 32 DCMR §3203.1(b), group homes that are occupied by no more than 6 residents (not including supervisors) are not required to obtain a certificate of occupancy.

3203.1 Except as provided in §§ 3203.7, 3203.8, 3203.9, or the second sentence of this subsection, no person shall use any structure, land, or part of any structure or land for any purpose until a certificate of occupancy has been issued to that person stating that the use complies with the provisions of this title and the D.C. Construction Code, Title 12 DCMR. The requirements of this subsection shall not apply to:

(a) A one-family dwelling; or

(b) A community based residential facility to be occupied by six (6) or fewer persons with a handicap plus resident supervisors, as permitted by right in residence and commercial districts pursuant 11 DCMR §§ 201.1(f) and 330.5(d).

3. Home-based business—required to obtain a Home Occupancy Permit.

4. Certain professional businesses (see list below)—required to obtain an occupational and professional license:

Occupations and Professional Licenses

Information, applications, and all other materials for each of the occupational and professional licenses are available below. These links will take you away from to Pearson VUE, which issues new licenses and processes renewals on behalf of DCRA.

5.  Transportation service providers (Regulated by Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Corporation [WMATC])—required to obtain a Certificate of Authority from WMATC.

Contact TTY: