Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Renew a Non-Driver ID Card
The DMV makes DC non-driver identification card renewal convenient by offering renewal services at DMV service centers, by mail and online by using the Online Identification Card Renewal tool. You may renew your DC Identification card up to 60 days before it expires. A DC identification card is valid for up to eight years for US citizens and may vary for non-US citizens (according to the US immigration expiration date).
You will receive a renewal notice 60 days in advance of the expiration of your identification card. You will receive your renewal notice by e-mail if you have provided DMV with your e-mail address. Click here to provide DMV with your e-mail address online. For last minute online renewals, DMV provides a temporary identification card certificate that can be used for up to 45 days, until your identification card is received in the mail.
Non-US Citizens may renew their Non-Driver Identification Card at any DMV service center.
The Patriot Act, Public Law 108-458, National Intelligence Reform Act of 2004 does NOT allow for social security numbers to be displayed on driver licenses or identification cards. If your identification card number is also your social security number, you will be required to visit a DMV Service Center for renewal in order to obtain a new photo (DC law and policy requires a full frontal digital photo that shows either the ears or up to the hairline without exposing the hair) and a randomly generated number.
Requirements for Online Renewal
You may renew your identification card online if you can satisfy all of the online eligibility requirements below. You may also change your address during this transaction. If you can't satisfy all these online requirements, please visit a DMV service location to renew your identification card. Although you can renew your identification card online if it has been expired for less than 90 days, please be aware that an expired identification card may not be accepted for identification by some organizations. However, you will be able to use your online identification card certificate for 45 days from the date of your renewal transaction until you receive your new identification card in the mail. Note that you must keep your current identification card, in addition to the temporary identification card certificate.
Note: If you have recently changed your name or updated the information with DMV, it is recommended that you renew your ID card in person or by mail.
To renew online, you must have:
- An identification card that expires within the next 60 days
- An identification card with 2 photos in the front and a barcode on the back
- Your current name on file at the DMV.
Your current address on file at the DMV. If you need to change your address, you may do so during this online identification card renewal transaction.
The DMV will mail your identification card to your current address on file at the DMV.
- Your identification card number, first name, last name, social security number, and date of birth.
- A valid credit card. The DMV accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. DMV does not accept American Express.
- Go to the Online Renewal application
- Enter your identification card information.
- Update your organ donor information.
- Pay for the online identification card renewal using a valid credit card.
- Review payment information.
- Print the receipt page for your records and, if necessary, the 45 day temporary identification card certificate.
- Online Identification Card Renewal: Within 10 business days, DMV will mail your identification card to your address of record.
Requirements for In-Person Renewal
- Completed Drivers License/Voter Registration Application [PDF]
- Change of Name [PDF] or Change of Address documentation, if applicable
Requirements for Mail Renewal
If you are renewing an identification card by mail, please send the following documents to the address indicated (identification card will be mailed to the address of record):
Completed Drivers License/Voter Registration Application**
DC Department of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Driver License/ID Card Renewal
P.O. Box 90120
Washington, DC 20090