Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Road Skills Test Requirements
On the day of your test, go to the DMV road testing service location at your scheduled appointment time. If you fail the road skills test, you must wait 72 hours before you are eligible to retest. If you fail the road skills test 6 times within a 12 month period, you will not be allowed to take the 7th test until 12 months after the 1st failed test.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment.
- Arrive in a vehicle that fulfills the vehicle requirements below.
- Bring your valid learner permit
- Be accompanied by a licensed driver 21 years or older
- Bring a car that has valid registration and proof of insurance.
- Wear your seat belt.
- Bring your 40-hour Certification of Eligibility for Provisional License form, if you are under 21 years of age.
Please note: If you have a learner permit and drive yourself to your road test appointment without being accompanied by a licensed driver, you will not be allowed to take your test for 6 months.
The vehicle used to take the test must:
- Have a current registration from any state.
- Have a motor vehicle liability insurance card or the policy (copies unacceptable). The card/policy must identify the vehicle and include the expiration date.
- Display a valid inspection sticker (if required in the state where the vehicle is registered).
- Display a front and rear license tag (if required in the state where the vehicle is registered).
- Have properly functioning brake lights, signals, horn, and a hand emergency brake located between the seats. In lieu of a hand emergency brake located between the seats, the vehicle may have a second steering wheel and/or brake located on the passenger side or any other emergency safety device that is in easy reach of the Road Test Examiner.
- Have Drivers side windows that roll down.
- Have a windshield providing an unobstructed field of vision.
- Have two rear view mirrors (one must be on the outside of the left side of your vehicle).
- Rental vehicles are allowed for road tests only if the person taking the test is listed on the rental contract as an approved driver of the rental vehicle.
If you would like to cancel or reschedule a road test, please call our customer service office at 311 or (202) 737-4404 at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled road test.
Your road test may be cancelled by DMV for one or more of the reasons listed below.
- The examiner believes he or she would have trouble reaching the brake or otherwise stopping the test vehicle in an emergency.
- There is inclement weather or other circumstances beyond DMV's control that make the road test dangerous.
- You or your vehicle have not met all of the road test requirements.
If your road test is cancelled, call our customer service office at 311 or (202) 737-4404 or visit the road test appointment scheduling information page to learn more about scheduling an appointment.
Note: Failure to cancel a scheduled road test within two business days will result in a $10 cancellation fee. This fee will be collected the next time you complete a license-related transaction. This fee will not be charged if you cancel your road test prior to two business days. You can cancel a road test by calling the DMV Call Center at 311 or (202) 737-4404.