Know before you go! Check out our Waiting Area Webcams.
Residents of the District of Columbia are required by law to display DC vehicle Tags. Vehicles are required to display two current tags, one on the front and the other on the rear of the vehicle. Exceptions are Motorcycle, Mopeds and Trailers for which one tag is issued to be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. The tags are to be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which they are issued. District law requires that the tags are to be visible, and may not be obstructed or covered with any substance (e.g. glass, plastic, spray, license tag holders, etc.).
DMV offers a variety of license tag services. (Fee applies)
- Disability Tags and Disability Placards
- Tag Replacement
- Tag Transfer
- Tag Surrender
- Personalized Tags
- Organizational Tags
- Specialty Tags
- 'Taxation without Representation' Tags
- Temporary DC Registration and Temporary Tags for Individuals
- Temporary DC Registration and Temporary Tags for Dealers/Dealerships
- Dealers Identification Tags
- Manufacturer Identification Tags