You will receive a renewal notice from DC DMV 60 calendar days before your current vehicle registration expires. You will receive your renewal notice by email if you have provided DC DMV with your email address. Your vehicle must have a valid inspection sticker to renew the vehicle registration. Also, to renew your vehicle registration, all outstanding debt to the District of Columbia must be paid.
If you are a returning customer, then you may renew your registration online at the link below:
For last minute online renewals, DC DMV provides a temporary vehicle registration certificate that you can print and use for up to 45 days, until your registration sticker is received in the mail.
Vehicle registration renewals may only be completed either online or by mail. Information on both processes is available below.
NOTE: You may change your address online during the vehicle registration renewal process if you have a REAL ID or a Limited Purpose driver license or non-driver identification card. If your driver license or identification card was issued prior to May 1, 2014, you must update your address in-person at a DC DMV Service Center. Also, if you have received a temporary registration, then renew it online for it to become your valid permanent registration. You have the option to renew it for one or two years. Information on DC DMV service centers is available at the link below:
Information on registration renewal fees is available at the link below:
Online Vehicle Registration and Residential Parking Renewal
You may renew your vehicle registration online if you can satisfy all of the online eligibility requirements listed below. You may also change your address during this transaction if you are the primary owner of the vehicle. Co-owners listed on the vehicle registration must apply for their own changes of address. If you cannot satisfy all the online requirements, please visit a DC DMV service center to resolve the issues (i.e., address stop, dishonored check stop, etc.) that are preventing you from renewing online.
Although you can renew your vehicle registration online if it has been expired for fewer than 90 calendar days, please be aware that it is illegal to drive with an expired vehicle registration.
After you renew your vehicle registration online, you will be able to print the temporary 45-day registration. Place the temporary certificate on your vehicle dashboard, or on your vehicle windshield, and keep the current registration sticker on your windshield until your registration sticker arrives in the mail. If you are eligible for a residential parking permit (RPP), the online process will allow you to check a box to add RPP during the vehicle registration renewal transaction. If your RPP zone has changed or expired, you must remove the outdated/expired RPP sticker. Only one RPP zone sticker can be displayed. If you display more than one sticker, you may receive a ticket.
Online Vehicle Registration Requirements
You may renew your vehicle registration online if you have:
- A vehicle registration that expires 60 calendar days from the date printed on your registration sticker, or a vehicle registration that has not been expired for more than 90 days.
- A valid vehicle inspection. If your inspection is expired, you must pass inspection prior to renewing your registration. If both your registration and inspection are expired, you may visit a DC DMV service location for a no-fee 5-day registration to take your vehicle through inspection. Information on vehicle inspections is available at the link below:
- Vehicle Inspections
- A valid DC DMV driver license or identification card.
- Your current name on file at DC DMV.
- Your current address on file at DC DMV. If you need to change your address, you may do so during this online vehicle registration renewal transaction only if you have a REAL ID credential. DC DMV will mail your vehicle registration to your current address on file at DC DMV.
- A valid DC insurance policy for your vehicle.
- A valid credit card. DC DMV accepts Visa and MasterCard. The DC Government does not accept American Express and Discover.
And you have not:
- Recently changed your name without updating the information with DC DMV. You can update information online at the link below:
- DC DMV Individual Information Update
And it is not a vehicle with a:
- Commercial tag
- For-hire tag
Online Vehicle Registration Renewal 6-Step Overview
To renew your vehicle registration online, go to the online system at the link below, and follow the steps outlined here:
- Vehicle Registration Renewal
- Enter your vehicle registration renewal information (tag number, last 4 characters of the VIN, registration renewal term, and your email address)
- Review your vehicle registration renewal information and update your insurance information.
- If you are eligible and need a residential parking permit, please check the box for RPP.
- Pay for the online vehicle registration renewal using a valid credit card.
- Review all the information you have entered.
- Print the receipt page for your records and, if necessary, the 45-day temporary registration certificate.
Within 10 business days, DC DMV will mail your vehicle registration card and your window sticker. You will also receive your residential parking permit (RPP) if you are eligible and have requested it. If you do not receive your renewed registration sticker within 10 business days, call the District-wide Call Center at 311.
By Mail Vehicle Registration Renewal
You must have a valid DC DMV driver license or non-driver identification card to renew your vehicle registration.
If you receive a registration renewal notice by mail, it will include a list of all applicable registration-related fees and a return envelope. Follow the instructions and be sure to enclose the check or money order made out to DC Treasurer for your registration as well as any applicable inspection and ticket fees (DC DMV cannot accept cash by mail). Also, when renewing by mail, your registration sticker will be mailed to you within 10 business days of DC DMV’s receipt of your renewal application, not within 10 business days of the date you mailed it. Additionally, you will not receive a temporary paper 45-day registration. Therefore, it is important that you allow for mailing, processing, and delivery of your vehicle registration renewal, as vehicles with an expired registration may be ticketed.
Return the envelope to:
Vehicle Services Administration
PO Box 90120
Washington, DC 20090
If you want to renew your vehicle registration by mail and do not have the registration renewal notice, you can still renew by mail and must provide DC DMV with the following information:
- DC vehicle tag number
- DC driver license number or identification card number
- Purpose of payments (vehicle registration renewal)
- Current address
- Telephone number
- Exact payment amount for applicable fees. DC DMV does not accept cash by mail. If you pay by check or money order, please make all payments to DC Treasurer. If you are uncertain about the amount of your vehicle registration renewal payment, contact 311 for fee details.
NOTE: Your tag number must be included on your payment to ensure the correct vehicle registration is renewed.
NOTE: If you have a change of address or a name change, you cannot renew your registration by mail. You must visit a DC DMV service center location with the proper documentation to verify the changes if your driver license or identification card was issued before May 1, 2014. Information on name and address changes is available at the links below:
Since it normally takes 10 business days to process a mailed registration renewal, please allow sufficient time when mailing your renewal. Your renewed registration card and sticker will be sent to you at your DC DMV address of record by return mail.