Effective October 1, 2022, the following vehicle registration fees will go into effect.
|Vehicle Type||Class||Weight Range (lbs)||Annual Fees Prior to Oct. 1, 2022||Annual Fees Effective Oct. 1, 2022|
|Passenger||Class I||<= 3499||$72.00||$72.00|
|Passenger||Class II||3500 - 4999||$115.00||$175.00|
|Passenger||Class III||5000 - 5999||$155.00||$250.00|
|Passenger||Class V||Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV)||$36.00||$36.00*|
|Commercial||Class I||<= 3499||$125.00||$125.00|
|Commercial||Class II||3500 - 4999||$160.00||$175.00|
|Commercial||Class III||5000 - 6999||$220.00||$250.00|
|Commercial||Class IV||7000 - 9999||$300.00||$500.00|
|Commercial||Class V||> 10000||$575.00||$700.00|
|Commercial||Class V continued||>= 10000 + each 1000||$575.00 + $25.00||$700.00 + $50.00|
|Trailer||Class I||<= 1499||$50.00||$50.00|
|Trailer||Class II||1500 - 3499||$125.00||$150.00|
|Trailer||Class III||3500 - 4999||$250.00||$275.00|
|Trailer||Class IV||5000 - 6999||$400.00||$500.00|
|Trailer||Class V||7000 - 9999||$500.00||$700.00|
|Trailer||Class VI||>= 10000||$550.00||$850.00|
|Trailer||Class VI continued||>= 10000 + each 1000||$550.00 + $50.00||$850.00 + $75.00|
*applies for the first 2 years of the vehicle registration, with the exception of motorcycles and motorized bicycles
|Class A Vehicle Registration||Current Annual Fee|
|Clean Fuel/Electric Vehicle (Hybrid) (First time registration only. Fee is different for renewals.)||$36.00|
|Permanent and Total Veteran Disability*||NO FEE|
|Motor Driven Cycle||$30.00|
|Vehicle Registration Reinstatement||$98.00|
|Additional Fees||Current Fee|
|Insurance Lapse||$150.00/day for days 1-30, then $7 for each day up to $2500|
|Non-IRP Registered Commercial Carriers|
|Trip Permits||$50 (valid for six days of travel within the District of Columbia)|
Payment and Credit Cards
- DMV accepts payments in the form of cash, check, money order or credit card.
- DC Government accepts VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit cards.
- All outstanding debts (child support payments, outstanding tickets and dishonored checks) to the DC Government must be satisfied before completing most of your DMV transactions.
Information on the excise tax for DC titles can be found at DC Official Code § 50-2201.03. Many vehicles are exempt from DC excise tax. [Review our excise tax exemption list] Rates are applied to the fair market value (as defined by the current National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) Business Guide for the Eastern Region) of the vehicle at the time of application (reference 18 DCMR §401.16). Obtain an estimate of the excise tax by using the online excise tax calculation tool.
As a result of recent regulatory changes, DC DMV has revised the calculations for motor vehicle excise taxes. The updated excise tax rates will take into account the fuel efficiency of motor vehicles as mandated by Title V of the CleanEnergy DC Omnibus amendment Act of 2018. These changes become effective on February 1, 2021.
Except as set forth in DC Official Code § 50-2201.03(j)(1A)(G), the excise tax rate on motor vehicles shall be as follows based on vehicle weight class and miles per gallon (“mpg”) city driving, rounded down to the nearest whole number:
Tax rates/fees are determined by both vehicle unladen weight and mpg city:
|Unladen Weight||20MPG or Less||21MPG-25MPG||26MPG-30MPG||31MPG-39MPG||40MPG or More|
|3,499 or Less||8.1%||4.4%||3.1%||2.2%||1.0%|
|3,500 - 4,999||9.1%||5.4%||4.1%||3.2%||2.0%|
|5,000 or More||10.1%||6.4%||5.1%||4.2%||3.0%|
Formula - Fair Market Value (FMV) X MPG Taxable Percentage (%) = Excise Tax
- Fuel efficiency is not based on MPGe (equivalent)
- Changes to the vehicle excise tax shall not apply to individuals who claimed and received the District Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) for the most recent tax period. Individuals who qualifiy for the District earned income tax credit (EITC) may elect to pay by weight class (6%, 7%, 8%), or the MPG adjusted tax benchmark/schedule depending on lowest costs. If EITC is applied to the excise tax, documentation from the Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR) will be required prior to vehicle titling.
- 100% electric vehicles are exempt from the vehicle excise tax.
DC Government accepts VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit cards.