To apply for a REAL ID driver license or REAL ID identification card, you must provide 1 source document from the list below. DC DMV will NOT accept documents that are not listed below to satisfy proof of identity and date of birth.
NOTE: You cannot use the same document as a proof of ability to drive or a proof of Social Security number AND as a proof of identity. You must have separate documents as each proof.
Source documents must be original and MUST list your full legal name and date of birth.
- United States birth certificate or birth certification card filed with a state office of vital statistics. More information is available at the link below:
- Valid REAL ID driver license, learner permit, or identification card only if the REAL ID presented has been issued to a US citizen; if the REAL ID presented as a proof has been issued to a US resident with lawful status, it will require immigration documentation as well. (DC DMV only accepts credentials from a jurisdiction that is fully REAL ID compliant. If the jurisdiction has an extension to become fully compliant, then the credential cannot be used for proof of identity. You must provide another document from this list.)
- Unexpired US passport or passport card
- Certificate of naturalization
- Certificate of US citizenship
- Consular report of birth abroad (CRBA) issued by the US Department of State
- Unexpired foreign passport with accompanying visa and I-94 reflecting duration of stay. Obtain an I-94 from the link below:
- Unexpired foreign passport with accompanying visa (classification A and G), I-94, and US Department of State letter reflecting no diplomatic immunity. Obtain an I-94 from the link below:
- Unexpired foreign passport with accompanying visa (classification F), I-94 and I-20. Obtain an I-94 from the link below:
- Unexpired foreign passport with accompanying visa (classification J), I-94 and DS-2019. Obtain an I-94 from the link below:
- Unexpired employment authorization card
- Unexpired permanent resident card
- I-94 stamped asylee and asylum approval letter. Obtain an I-94 from the link below:
- I-94 stamped refugee. Obtain an I-94 from the link below:
- Letter with picture from Court Services and Offender Supervisor Agency (CSOSA) or DC Department of Corrections (DC DOC) certifying name, date of birth, Social Security number, and address (for ID card only). This is known as a CSOSA and DC DOC sole source document. This is an exception process that may only be used to receive a 6-month identification card if none of the other acceptable documents is available. After the initial 6 months, CSOSA and DC DOC applicants will be required to undergo a re-validation process and provide acceptable source documents, excluding the original CSOSA or DC DOC sole source document (i.e., CSOSA and DC DOC sole source document will not be an acceptable document to use for re-validation after the 6-months ID card has expired).
Non-US citizens with visiting visa classifications are not eligible to obtain a DC DMV REAL ID driver license or DC DMV REAL ID identification card. Non-US citizens may obtain a DC DMV REAL ID driver license or DC DMV REAL ID identification card if they possess a USCIS Notice of Action, Form I-797, reflecting that they have applied for an employment authorization card, permanent resident card, or adjustment of status or any other unexpired document issued by USCIS or US Department of State allowing lawful presence.
If you have a name change due to marriage, divorce, or a court order, you are also required to bring (in addition to the above documents) your marriage/divorce certificate or court documents to show proof of your name change. More information on name changes is available at the link below:
A DC REAL ID driver license and identification card are valid for up to 8 years for US citizens. The length of time they are valid may vary for non-US citizens depending on their visa classification and duration of stay. Therefore, immigration documentation must be resubmitted upon renewal for non-US citizens. If you are issued a REAL ID credential that has a modified expiration date that is less than 8 years, the credential will be marked “Temporary.”
Documents that are altered, counterfeit, torn, laminated, erased, whited out, etc., are not originals and are not accepted by DC DMV.