On behalf of the District Department of Transportation (DDOT), which regulates parking in the District, DC DMV issues disability parking placards or permits, which are placed inside the vehicle on the rear view mirror, to District residents who need them. DC DMV also issues disability vehicle tags to District residents who need them. These disability tags replace the vehicle’s other tags.
You may get one set of disability tags and one disability parking placard or permit. Disability tags or parking placards or permits for people with disabilities are available at all DC DMV service centers.
Disability parking placards, permits, or tags from DC or any state allow you to:
- Park in any parking space designated for a disabled person
- Park for double the posted time in any metered spaces (unless prohibited by DDOT's Red Top Meter Program)
Disability parking privileges DO NOT allow you to stop, stand, or park in the following areas:
- Where parking is prohibited
- In spaces reserved for other special types of vehicles
- Where it would clearly present a traffic hazard
Note: Parking privileges may vary by jurisdiction. Private parking facilities, such as airport parking lots, may restrict the time and parking for vehicles displaying disability parking placards or permits or tags.
For more information regarding disability rights, please visit the DC Office of Disability Rights (ODR) website or read the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) overview.
For information regarding recent regulation changes in District parking for persons with disabilities, please vist the DDOT website.
Disability Placard Replacement
DC DMV will replace your disability parking placards if they are lost or stolen or need to be replaced due to wear and tear. To obtain replacement placards, visit a DC DMV service location and present the following original documents.
- Valid DC DMV driver license, non-driver identification card, or learner permit.
- A Metropolitan Police Department police report is required for the lost or stolen placards.
Note: DC DMV provides disability access to all of our service centers, including the Inspection Station and Adjudication Services.
Violations and Penalties
Remember, it is unlawful to:
- Park in a space reserved for disabled individuals without displaying your disability placard, permit, or tag
- Allow anyone to use your placard, permit, or tag unless that person is transporting you
- Create or use a counterfeit copy of a disability parking placard, permit, or vehicle tag
- Alter a disability parking placard/permit or vehicle tags
- Make a false statement about a disability in order to obtain or assist someone else in obtaining a disability parking placard, permit, or vehicle tag
Violations of these regulations could result in fines and/or imprisonment or the revocation of your disability parking privileges.
Additional information available at the links below.