An ignition interlock device (IID) is a breath alcohol analyzer connected to the ignition system of a vehicle. The driver must blow into the device and if their breath alcohol level exceeds the accepted level set on the device, the vehicle will not start. The accepted level is below 0.020. In addition, at different times while driving, the driver will be prompted to blow into the device to ensure they are not under the influence. All devices must be equipped with cameras.
Enrollment in the mandatory IID Program is required for the first or subsequent alcohol-related offenses. Participation in the IID Program requires a restricted DC DMV driver license (either a restricted REAL ID license or a restricted Limited Purpose license) and only designated vehicles with installed IIDs may be driven. If you have a commercial driver license (CDL), you will be required to downgrade to a non-commercial driver license (NCDL) and enroll in the mandatory IID program.
The restriction and conditions on your driver license will remain in place for the required period of program enrollment, and that period of time will be extended if you violate the IID Program rules or commit another driving-related violation.
Failure to enroll in the mandatory IID program will result in the indefinite revocation of the driver license and suspension of all registered vehicles. The driver license will not be eligible for reinstatement until enrollment into the IID Program has been completed.
In order to enroll into the IID Program, you must visit the IID program portal (select button below) to complete the application, upload required documents and pay for IID program enrollment.
Eligibility (current DC driver license holders)
To be eligible for the program, you must:
- Have a DC driver license.
- Have either been convicted in court or administratively of an alcohol/drug-related driving offense in any jurisdiction.
- Not have any additional or pending license suspensions or revocations.
- Have not been convicted of causing injury or death while operating a motor vehicle in any jurisdiction.
- Have enrolled or completed a District of Columbia Department of Behavioral Health (DBH) approved substance abuse treatment program.
- Have not previously unsuccessfully participated in this program or any similar program in another jurisdiction for five years prior to the date of the application.
- Obtain and maintain High Risk SR22 Insurance.
Eligibility (new resident converting out-of-state driver license)
If you are an out-of-state driver with an ignition interlock device requirement who wishes to convert an out-of-state license to a DC DMV IID restricted license, you must:
- Meet requirements to be issued a DC driver license (REAL ID/Limited Purpose).
- Be currently enrolled or eligible in another state/jurisdiction’s certified IID program.
- Currently possess a valid out-of-state driver license.
- Provide a certified driving record (issued within the last 30 days) from the licensing jurisdiction.
- Provide IID monthly reports reflecting activity and triggered events (if applicable).
- Provide proof of substance abuse treatment enrollment or completion from the jurisdiction in which the offense occurred.
- Title and register the out-of-state vehicle in the District of Columbia.
- Visit and obtain an IID from a DC DMV approved IID provider (if applicable).
- Remain in the IID program for the duration of either:
- (1) The original IID license restriction in the previous jurisdiction, or
- (2) The IID license restriction that the driver would have received if the infraction occurred in the District of Columbia, whichever duration is longer.
- Must remain in compliance with the jurisdiction that imposed the IID restriction.
- Have not been convicted for causing injury or death while operating a motor vehicle in any jurisdiction.
DC DMV's IID program enrollment fee is $50. The IID program participants must pay all costs involved with the installation and monthly maintenance of the IID directly to the vendor. Costs are determined by each approved vendor. If a participant is determined to be indigent, the Department may pay costs associated with that person's enrollment and participation in the IID program. Failure to timely enter the program will result in a reinstatement fee of $98 for the driver license and $98 for each vehicle registered in the person’s name.
Program Enrollment Instructions
To enroll into the IID program, please visit the IID program portal (select button below) and complete the online application. All required documents and payments must be submitted via the portal.
Once approved, you will be required to get a restricted driver license that will carry the “T” IID restriction.
Enrollment or eligibility questions
DC DMV's REAL ID driver license is a secure, federally compliant credential. DC DMV's Limited Purpose ID driver license is available to District residents who do not have a social security number and/or lawful presence in the United States.
Approved Ignition Interlock Device Service Providers
You may visit the website or call the toll free number(s) for cost, installation, or appointment information:
- A1A Smart Start - (800) 831-3299
- Alcohol Detection Systems - (833) 479-2118
- Draeger - (800) 332-6858
- LifeSafer - (800) 588-0485
*Costs are determined by the independent vendors and not by DC DMV.