Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

REAL ID Proof of Identity-Full Legal Name, Date of Birth and Lawful Presence

To apply for a REAL ID driver license or REAL ID identification card, you must provide one source document from the list below. DC DMV will not accept documents that are not listed below to satisfy proof of identity and date of birth.

Note: The documents listed may also serve as proof of lawful presence, with the exception of the items mark with (**). Source documents must be original and must list your full legal name and date of birth.

  • Unexpired US Passport or Passport Card
  • US Birth Certificate or Birth Certification Card filed with a state office of vital statistics
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the US Department of State
  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of US Citizenship
  • Unexpired Foreign Passport with accompanying Visa**
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Card**
  • REAL ID Driver License, Learner Permit, or Identification Card**
  • Letter with picture from Court Services and Offender Supervisor Agency (CSOSA), DC Department of Corrections (DC DOC) or US Probation Office certifying name, date of birth, Social Security number, and address (for ID card only). This is known as a CSOSA and DC DOC sole source document. This is an exception process that may only be used to receive a 6-month identification card if none of the other acceptable documents is available. After the initial 6 months, CSOSA and DC DOC applicants will be required to undergo a re-validation process and provide acceptable source documents, excluding the original CSOSA or DC DOC sole source document (i.e., CSOSA and DC DOC sole source document will not be an acceptable document to use for re-validation after the 6-months ID card has expired).

**Note: Document source may not be used as Proof of Lawful Presence.

If you have a name change due to marriage, divorce, or a court order (which includes adoption), you are also required to bring (in addition to the above documents) your marriage/divorce certificate or court documents to show proof of your name change. Documents that are altered, counterfeit, torn, laminated, erased, whited out, etc., are not originals and are not accepted by DC DMV.