Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Driver License for Non-US Citizens

If you are not a US citizen, you may be eligible to obtain a DC DMV driver license if you meet the requirements for REAL ID proof of identity, social security, current DC residency, and legal presence. Your DC DMV driver license will expire at the end of your approved duration of stay.

A non-US citizen with an USCIS Notice of Action, Form I-797, may be issued a temporary DC DMV driver license or identification card for the duration of processing time indicated in the notice up to a maximum of 18 months.

Non-US citizens on visitor visas are not eligible to obtain driver licenses in the District of Columbia.

If you reside in the District for more than 30 days and you are NOT staying in the US on a visitor’s visa, you must get a DC DMV driver license.

Use DC DMV's online Document Verification Guide to determine what documents you need to provide to DC DMV to obtain a driver license:

To obtain a DC DMV REAL ID driver license as a non-US citizen, you will have to follow the process outlined in the Obtain a DC DMV REAL ID driver license page, at the link below:

There are several additional points, outlined below:

  • If you have a valid out-of-country driver license, you will still have to take and pass the DC DMV driver knowledge test before you can get a DC DMV REAL ID driver license.

You will be allowed to keep your out-of-country driver license along with your DC DMV REAL ID driver license. DC DMV does not accept international driver licenses.

If your valid, non-US driver license is not in English, you must attach an English translation from your embassy or from a translation company. The embassy translation must be on official embassy letterhead. The date of the translation must be on or after the actual date of the non-English language driver license. Translations from companies must be certified with a translation stamp, or notarized by preparing a notarized affidavit confirming the translation was prepared by a qualified translator and that it is both accurate and complete. 

  • If you have a valid non-US driver license, you will not have to take the DC DMV road skills test, but you will have to provide proof of your ability to drive.

Proof of your ability to drive can be your unexpired non-US driver license. More information on proof of your ability to drive is available at the link below:

Contact TTY: