Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Motor Vehicles

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

To Replace a Vehicle Title

If your vehicle title is lost or stolen, or the lien on the vehicle has been satisfied, you may obtain a duplicate title. You will have to provide certain documents (listed below) and pay a fee.

  • Google Chrome
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Apple Safari

If there are no changes to your title, such as removing a lien or changing ownership, you may apply for a duplicate title online. DC DMV complies with federal regulations regarding the use of credit cards, so to utilize the online services and pay with a credit card, use browsers with minimum version requirements, such as:

You may apply for a duplicate title at the link below:

Skip the Trip LogoYou can also mail the documents and fee to:

PO Box 90120
Washington, DC 20090

Or you can visit a DC DMV service center with the required documents and fee. Information on DC DMV service centers is available at the link below:

If your vehicle title has been lost or stolen, you will need the following documents:

  • Certificate of Title/Temporary Tag Application (must be signed by all owners), available at the link below:
  • Certificate of Title/Temporary Tag Application
  • Valid photo identification of vehicle owner(s)
  • A copy of the valid driver license or identification card credential for the owner of the vehicle.
  • A Vehicle Power of Attorney form if you are not the owner, but requesting the duplicate title for the owner. The Vehicle Power of Attorney form is available at the link below:
  • Vehicle Power of Attorney Form
  • Vehicle information—at least one of the following items to identify your vehicle:
  • Vehicle renewal notice
  • Vehicle registration
  • Vehicle identification number
  • DC DMV title number
  • Vehicle tag number

To obtain a duplicate title once a lien has been satisfied, you will have to submit or bring to a DC DMV service center the documents listed above, and any one of the following documents:

  • Letter of financing on company letterhead stating that the lien is satisfied
  • Loan agreement stamped “paid” by the financial institution and certified by an appropriate party
  • Title stamped with lien release from the financial institution

Dealers may request duplicate titles on behalf of customers by providing the following documentation and paying the appropriate fee, either by mail or in person at a DC DMV service center:

To replace a title and/or request a change of name or change of address, please bring in the supporting documentation. Information on name and address changes is available at the links below:

To replace an existing DC DMV title due to an incorrect vehicle identification number (VIN), you must bring one of the following documents:

  • VIN correction from DC DMV inspection station
  • VIN correction letter on letterhead from another state's motor vehicle agency

Information on titles for salvage vehicles is available at the link below:

All duplicate titles will be mailed to the primary owner within 10 business days of processing. Titles are not issued over the counter.

Contact TTY: