The vehicle title is the legal document that establishes ownership of the vehicle. The title list the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. To register a vehicle in the District, you must provide the following:
If you purchase a new vehicle, a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin will be provided from the vehicle dealership.
To get a current, valid title to a vehicle you purchase or otherwise obtain, you will have to submit certain documents to DC DMV. The following original documents are required to obtain a new vehicle title :
- Current title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin
- The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin serves the same purpose as a title for your new vehicle until you title it with DC DMV.
- Altered titles are not acceptable. If you are transferring a vehicle from another jurisdiction to the District and the vehicle has a lien on it, you will need to contact the lienholder and have the original title sent to one of DMV's service centers.
- DC DMV Credential
- If the vehicle has multiple owners, all owners must be listed on the title. The primary owner must be a District resident with a DC DMV credential. Additionally, information on the other owners will be required for vehicle registrations. For more information on vehicle registration, please visit District Residency and Documentation for Vehicle Registrations.
- If the registered owner or lessee is a business, a copy of the DC Business License issued by DC Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection (DLCP) is required in addition to a copy of the DC Certificate of Occupancy issued by DC Department of Buildings (DOB). If the registered owner/lessee does not own the property, then the Certificate of Occupancy must be accompanied by a premises lease agreement between the vehicle registered owner/lessee and the listed party on the Certificate of Occupancy.
- Car Bill of Sale
- Proof of DC Insurance
- Proof of Valid Odometer Statement
- For a new car, the dealer’s odometer statement.
- For a used car, either:
- Certification of odometer mileage on back of title (when signed over)
- Certification of odometer mileage on dealer reassignment form (if purchased from dealer)
- Lien contract (if applicable)
- Lease contract (if applicable)
Your DC DMV vehicle title will be mailed to the primary owner or the primary lien holder, within 10 business days of presenting all the required documentation to DC DMV.
Obtain an online estimate of the vehicle registration and title fees.
To Remove Co-owner from Vehicle
To remove a co-owner from a DC vehicle title, both parties have to sign the back of the title as the seller. The individual remaining on the title will sign as the buyer. To title and register with new buyer, this service can be completed at a DC DMV service center or via online. Fees will be assessed unless you qualify for an exemption.