If your DC DMV non-driver identification card has been damaged, lost, or stolen, you can get a duplicate one either online, by mail, or in person at a DC DMV Service Center.
If your lost, stolen, or damaged non-driver ID card is either a DC DMV REAL ID non-driver identification card (star located in upper right corner) or a DC DMV Limited Purpose non-driver identification card, you may replace it online, if you meet the eligibility requirements for online replacements, outlined below:
- Your lost, stolen, or damaged ID card is either a REAL ID or a Limited Purpose identification card.
- Your current name is on file at DC DMV.
- Your current address is on file at DC DMV. If you need to change your address, you may use the change of address transaction. DC DMV will mail your identification card to your updated address. Information on changing your address is available at the link below:
- Change of Address
- You have your identification card number, first name, last name, Social Security number, and date of birth.
- You have a valid credit card. DC DMV accepts Visa and MasterCard. DC government does not accept American Express and Discover.
- You haven’t recently changed your name and not updated the information with DC DMV.
DC DMV complies with federal regulations regarding the use of credit cards, so to utilize the online services and pay with a credit card, use browers with minimum version requirements, such as:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
- Apple Safari
You may use the online identification card replacement system, available at the link below, and then follow the steps shown in the box.
Online Identification Card Replacement Five-Step Overview
- Enter your identification card information.
- Update your organ donor information.
- Pay for the online identification card renewal using a valid credit card.
- Review payment information.
- Print the receipt page for your records and also the 45-day temporary identification card certificate.
Within 10 business days, DC DMV will mail your identification card to your address of record. If you do not receive your identification card in a reasonable time, please contact us at 311 or 202-737-4404.
To get a duplicate non-driver ID card by mail, you must have either a valid DC DMV REAL ID (with a star printed in the upper right corner), or Limited Purpose, non-driver credential. A list of requirements for getting a duplicate by mail can be found at the links below, under REAL ID and Limited Purpose Documentation.
You must mail your documents to:
DC Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Services Administration
PO Box 90120
Washington, DC 20090
If your REAL ID non-driver ID is lost, stolen, or damaged, you will have to visit a DC DMV service center and provide proof of identity to obtain a replacement non-driver ID. If your lost, stolen, or damaged DC DMV non-driver ID card is NOT either a REAL ID or a Limited Purpose non-driver identification card, you will have to visit a DC DMV service center to upgrade your replacement non-driver card to either a REAL ID or a Limited Purpose identification card.
A list of DC DMV service centers is available at the link below:
You will be eligible for either a REAL ID or a Limited Purpose non-driver identification card, depending on whether or not you have a valid Social Security number. Answers to frequently asked questions about both REAL ID and Limited Purpose credentials are available at the links below:
If you do not currently have a REAL ID or Limited Purpose identification card, you will have to bring documentation that proves your identity, your District residency, and your Social Security status, depending on which type of credential you will get. Links to the documents you must bring to the DC DMV service center are available below for both REAL ID and Limited Purpose IDs:
REAL ID Documentation
- REAL ID Proof of Identity
- REAL ID Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of DC Residency (2 documents required)
Limited Purpose ID Documentation
- Limited Purpose Proof of Identity
- Social Security Number Declaration
- Proof of Current DC Residency (2 required)
- Proof of six-month DC Residency (2 required)
DC DMV will NOT be able to accept documents that are not listed at the links above.
You will also have to pay the applicable fees. DC DMV fees are available at the link below:
DC DMV will issue you a temporary, paper DC DMV REAL ID or Limited Purpose non-driver identification card after you’ve completed the process and paid the fees. This temporary ID will be valid for 45 days; your actual card will be mailed to you within 10 business days. DC DMV does not mail ID cards to PO boxes.
To check the mailing status of your license or card, you can go to the system at the link below: