To apply for a Limited Purpose driver license or Limited Purpose ID card you must provide 1 source document from the list below or 2 secondary source documents from the list below. DC DMV will NOT accept documents that are not listed below to satisfy proof of identity and date of birth.
Note: You cannot use the same document as a proof of ability to drive AND a proof of identity. You will need separate documents for each proof.
If you have had a name change due to marriage or a court order, you are also required to bring (in addition to the required source or secondary documents) your marriage certificate or court documents to show proof of your name change.
Source Documents—1 required—must be original and list full legal name and date of birth:
- US birth certificate or birth certification card filed with a state office of vital statistics
- Unexpired passport
- Consular card
- Unexpired US military identification card
- Letter with picture from Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA) or DC Department of Corrections (DC DOC) certifying name and date of birth (for 6-month ID card only)
Secondary Source Documents—2 required—must be original and list full legal name and date of birth:
- Foreign birth certificate (Original)
- Unexpired foreign driver license or identification card
Certified school records
If you possess a non-English language source document from a foreign country, you must attach an English translation from your embassy or from a certified translator. The embassy translation must be on official embassy letterhead. Certified translator copies must have a certification stamp.
NOTE: Documents that are altered, counterfeit, torn, laminated, erased, whited out, etc. are not originals and are not accepted by DC DMV.