You must complete the 6-month DC residency certification and provide 2 of the documents listed below that are not from the same Business, Company, or Agency (in which the address matches EXACTLY on both documents) to satisfy proof of 6-month District residency. DC DMV will NOT accept documents that are not listed below to satisfy proof of District residency. The 6-month residency certification form is available at the link below:
Source documents (2 required) must be original AND contain a valid DC address (PO boxes are not acceptable). Computer printouts for online bills are considered original.
- Utility bill (water, gas, electric, oil, or cable), with name and address, issued within the last 60 days (disconnect notices/bills are not accepted)
- Telephone bill (cell phone, wireless, or pager bills acceptable), reflecting applicant's name and current address, issued within the last 60 days (disconnect notices/bills are not accepted)
- Deed, mortgage, or settlement agreement reflecting applicant's name and property address issued within the last 60 days
- Unexpired lease or rental agreement with the name of the applicant listed as the lessee, permitted resident, or renter (may be a photocopy). The unexpired lease or rental agreement must be signed by all parties.
- Unexpired Sublease accompanied by the original unexpired Lease with the name of the certifier as sub-lessor
- DC property tax bill or tax assessment issued within the last 12 months reflecting the applicant's name and property address
- Unexpired homeowner's or renter’s insurance policy reflecting name and address
- *Letter with picture from Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA) or DC Department of Corrections (DC DOC) certifying name and DC residency issued within the last 60 days
- DC DMV proof of residency form (for minors under 18 years old) signed by the parent/guardian residing at the residence AND a copy of parent/guardian’s unexpired DC driver license or DC identification card AND 2 proof of residency documents (i.e., utility bill, telephone bill, etc.) in the parent/guardian’s name. The DC DMV proof of residency form is available at the link below:
- DC DMV Proof of Residency Form
- Bank/credit card/investment account statement issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
- Official mail—received from ANY government agency (with full name and address) to include contents and envelope received within the last 60 days, excluding mail from DC DMV. DC DMV does not accept change of address forms from the United States Postal Service.
- *DC DMV-approved form from certified social service provider
- Medical bill issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
- Student loan statement issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
- Home line of equity statement issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
- Car/personal loan statement (no coupon books/vouchers accepted) issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
- Home security system bill issued within the last 60 days reflecting name and address
*May only be used to obtain a DC DMV non-driver identification card and does NOT require a second source of residency document
Two proof of residency documents are required for all driver license and identification card transactions. However, if you are only doing a vehicle transaction (i.e., only obtaining vehicle reciprocity), you are only required to provide 1 proof of residency document. If you are doing a combined license/ID AND vehicle transaction at the same time, you are required to provide 2 proofs of residency documents.
Documents that are altered, counterfeit, torn, laminated, erased, whited out, etc., are not originals and are not accepted by DC DMV.